Here are two examples of the beautiful and
historical construction found in Woodstock, GA


WOODSTOCK, GEORGIA, TIME LINE (revised July, 2010)

Year
1875The first Mark Fowler house is built. Later known as the Hendrix House, it would be demolished in 2006.
1879Railroad is opened. First Depot is built near the present depot a few short feet north of the present depot but on the west side of the tracks.
Enon Church moves to Woodstock in the area that is now a parking lot on Towne Lake Parkway (previously called Church Street) behind present-day Woodstock Community Church, soon to be a part of the city government complex.
1883Will Dean and Lou Boring are married and move into what is still known as the Dean House on East Main Street. It had been built by Dr. G. A. Merritt circa. 1875. This is now (2010) Woodstock’s oldest house. Claude Chandler is born. He would live to be 101.
1886Linton Albert Dean is born on June 15. He would be the sole proprietor of Dean’s Store from 1906 until his death at age 95 in 1981.
1888J. H. Johnston Company, said to be the second business in Woodstock, opens. The first merchant may have been Nathan Fowler.
1889Woodstock Methodist Church is organized.
1891Baptists build a new sanctuary after having changed their name from Enon to Woodstock Baptist Church in 1884.
1892The Clyde Kemp House is built. It was later called the Kemp/Durham House.
1894The second Mark Fowler House is built. Later, the house was owned by the P.H. Hubbard family for over 50 years.
1897City Charter is granted by State Legislature on December 8. Limits are set at 3/4 mile north and south of depot, and 1/2 mile east and west of rails. Nathan Fowler would become Woodstock’s first mayor.
Page 2  of  6 First   Previous   1  [2]  3  4  5  6  Next   Last